Welcome Message

Sign up to receive discounts, new product info, and other exclusive news and offers! Click www.douglasjamescottrell.com

Thursday, March 3, 2011

March 3rd 2011 in Madrid, Spain

Here I am hard at work waiting for clients to arrive for their consultations. I was given a large consultation room at the Jardin de Luz Center, a spiritual healing center in Madrid. This charming location is a short walk from the Conference location, and it's private and quiet.






This is morning rush hour in Madrid.. Ixone and I are on the way to the spiritual center. It's about 9:00 am local time. Notice the huge fountain located at Glorieta de Bilbao.





I am about to take my first trip on the metro (subway) in Madrid. The subway system is extremely clean and efficient. The cost for a ride:  for $9.40 euros.

I bought 10 rides on the system. That works out to be 1 euro or $2 CDN or USD. Notice the architecture of the building in the background

The subway ride reminded me of my high school days when I used to take the "TTC" (Toronto Transit Commission) subway (and streetcar) to school every day in Toronto. The people I saw were doing the same thing everyone does on their work but they were happy and smiling as we bobbed along in the subway. From the ladies' fashions (leather everywhere) to the businessmen in stylish black attire, I knew I was in Spain.
The question is - Do I look British or American?



This is one of the most famous statues in Madrid called El oso y el madroño which means the bear and the "madroño" tree. Every New Year's Eve, hundreds and hundreds of people meet in this famous square, La puerta del sol.

One of the traditions is to share twelve grapes (in reference to the bear and the madroño tree), eating grapes at the same time as the town clock chimes out the beginning of the New Year. Twelve grapes are eaten as the clock strikes 12 midnight with 12 chimes ringing in the new year.

Another view of downtown Madrid. Notice in the upper mid center of the picture a majestic green statue perched on top of the building. If you look closely, it's a chariot and horses in full gallop. Click on the picture to expand and enlarge it.

There are many scooters and motorcycles in this busy city. Most popular in getting around in traffic..... and as you can see, parking a scooter doesn't seem to be a problem.







What kind of food do people eat in Spain?

This was a delicious vegetarian meal of couscous, stuffed tomato, sauteed vegetables and a mysterious brown patty that I thought was a potato pancake.

The charm of this restaurant was old school indeed. Did Christopher Columbus come here I wondered?



Here I am at the Conference Center which is located within the Principe Pio Train Station. These are two wonderful friends, Visi and Miguel who met me in Montreal, Canada at the IIIHS Conference last summer. They have been helpful in supporting me in our efforts to become established in Madrid. Their booth display of exquisite crystals and jewelery was eye-catching. A must see when you attend Foro Internacional de las Ciencias Ocultas y Esprituales.


On the way back from the conference we passed by some amazing historical buildings. Like this beautiful structure that I believe is part of a prestigious catholic university in Madrid Spain.

The temperature is about -1 C, and is a bit chilly. Bye for now,
Douglas.

No comments:

Post a Comment